Sunday, September 28, 2014

It's been a hectic week here on our mini farm

Lots going on, but doesn't seem like anything really got done. My middle son finishes up his job this week, his last day is Wednesday. Thank God! No more driving him into town at 7am! yuck! It also means he'll be home way more to be able to help on the house building. My mother-in-law and father-in-law are moving closer to us, so we've been helping them pack up their home. I've been hitting yard sales to find bargains, not only for my own home, but also for the flea market booth I set up earlier this month (which has thankfully sold enough to cover October's booth rent! Whew!). I am hoping my enterprise really pays off closer to Christmas, when we need the money the most. Here's a picture:


My oldest has been busy with college work and helping his grandparents. He has always been the hardest worker of all my kids! He's also spent the weekend helping Jason work on the house building. It seems we've spent so much time getting ready to get ready to do things on it. We had bought off craigslist some very nice solid wood doors with full windows for a very reasonable price. The only problem (the biggest problem) is that they don't fit a typical door frame. So while we had built everything for normal sized doors, we ended up having to jimmy the front door opening, and the back door opening is still up for debate on whether we'll use these same doors back there and jimmy the opening, or if we'll just resell them and buy prehung doors. While the doors are BEAUTIFUL, being NOT perfectly standard doors, and being that we're not construction workers with all the tools available at our disposal, it may not be the best idea to try to do the back ourselves. On top of the doors not being typical, they are also extremely heavy! We used the 3 hinges typical of doors this size, and have realized we're going to have to go with 5 hinges or purchase super expensive hinges to hold their weight or we'll have problems in the not-so-distant future. It does look wonderful, though.

Jason also purchased one of those storm doors that has a built in, hidden screen. The screen comes out of hiding as you push the window down. As often as we will use it, it was worth the extra money. :) Now that the front door & frame is all in the guys can work on trimming it and then get back to siding the house on that wall. We also heard from Menards that our foundation coating will be in on Monday or Tuesday this next week. Yay! We can finally finish THAT part of the house and begin working on the front and back porches. View of our new doors from the outside (I still need to wash them).


This week was also homecoming week for our local high school, so my daughter was busy with that. She has turned into an excellent photographer and was tapped to take the pictures for her FFA chapter. She did a tremendous job on the float, too. :) And my middle son took his girlfriend (who is still in high school) to the Homecoming dance last night, so that was more running around. They looked great, though.

Let's see, what else has been going on around here, I've been trying to get back in the swing of food storage. It seems I'm using a LOT of our food storage lately, first because all our extra money is going into my flea market booth right now (you have to spend money to make money) and because I don't really have the time to go to the grocery store to shop. Seems odd, I know, but with all the running around I've been doing lately, the last thing I want to do is drive an hour round trip to grocery shop. So it's been pizzas and tacos, and I think today just may be chicken on the grill. :) Oh, and eggs, we've been eating a lot of eggs lately. Our hens have slowed down their laying, but we still have far too many, so thankfully I have some faithful friends & neighbors who keep purchasing our extras. Have I mentioned lately that duck eggs make the BEST baking eggs?

I suppose I should stop chit-chatting and get busy with other things, like laundry and giving the animals fresh water. Enjoy the pictures!
And here's a photo of the pony...still at our house:


Here are some better pictures of the front door. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment