Friday, October 10, 2014

It's a very rainy day here on our farm

It's one of those days that I would like to just go back to bed and curl up with a book and maybe take a nap! Nope, not happening...although my tired eyes sure seem to be begging for it.

Today is the day I organize myself, get my grocery list together, get another load of laundry in the wash, and hopefully go through our food storage to get it ready to transport into our crawlspace in the new house. My hubby gave me the go-ahead to put it in there. He's pretty sure it's dried out and insulated enough now. This will free up some space on our cabin's porch for shoes...why do shoes take up so DARNED much ROOM? And everyone needs two or three pairs, it seems, plus the necessary muck boots...which were needed this morning from all the rain.

I'm also working on pricing some of my "finds" for my flea market booth and hopefully getting some of my BEST finds up on eBay. It's always fun coming home from a day of auctions and yard sales and researching my goodies. Some of them I am just VERY attracted to and will be putting in my new house and some of them I just think have style & class and figure someone else will think the same...and hopefully pay the price I've researched and found to be the "right" price. :) Happily my booth made money last month...not a whole lot, but it paid the booth rent and I got a check, too, so far, so good.

It's definitely fall here in the Ozarks now, the leaves are changing or have changed, the black walnuts are EVERYWHERE in my yard. The other day we had a big wind that must've drummed several hundred black walnuts onto our roof and ground, what a NOISE! They sound like hail. UGH! We're all allergic to them here in this house, so while they are an excellent nut, good for you, and easy to grow (we have six trees, I think...and more that would come up if we let their sprouts keep growing), they're useless to us. The rains have come, which is good, it was a dry summer and the creeks & rivers are all very low.

I harvested some of my red bell peppers the other day and now need to get them in the freezer. They are one of the main ingredients in my red beans and rice recipe. I also have loads of habanero peppers. They're hot little buggers and I'm not fond of them, but my middle son loves making HOT sauces and salsas. No tomatoes, though, they fizzled about a month ago. The plants are still trying to produce, but the blight is preventing them from actually making nice ones. I need to get out there and pull them up and burn them, but that involves time I just haven't had a lot of lately. I also need to bring in my dried beans. I have discovered that I'm not very good at picking green beans when they're at their best...I tend to let them get too big, so then they turn into bean pods for dried beans...more seed for next year plus cooking over the winter. I hope I haven't left THOSE too long and they've gone bad from all this rain.

We've been working on the house in bits and pieces, between work and school schedules and the rains. On nice days we're working on the siding, on crummy days, like today, we've been framing in upstairs and we'll hopefully work on the wiring this weekend. On top of all of this we've been helping my in-laws move. They're moving closer to us, they found a cute place at the edge of town that will be perfect for them. So much to do, so little time...

Here are some pics of the upstairs as it's getting framed in:


1st photo is a view of the "sitting room" as you come up the stairs. Now that it's framed in it actually looks larger than what it appeared on paper. :)
2nd photo is a view of the bathroom and bedrooms from the sitting room, note the closet on each side of the main door. When the kids move out and we no longer need it to be TWO bedrooms, the middle wall (temporary, doesn't exist in the photos yet) will come down and it will be one big master bedroom.
3rd photo is a view of the bathroom from the sitting room.
4th photo is a view of the sitting room and bathroom from the bedrooms, you can see the closet spaces a little better there.
5th photo is a view of the sitting room from the bathroom.
Last photo is a view of the staircase from the sitting room. The stairwell will be open from upstairs with a nice rail and grill to prevent falls. :) Notice the "ledge" running alongside the bathroom? Jason did this to make sure the wall lined up with the supports all the way to the crawlspace, and it will make a nice "display" ledge...however I will not be able to put anything breakable up there, because I imagine the cats will make FULL use of that nice ledge for sunbathing, exploring, and just plain being mischievous. LOL! If the rain would ever slow down we might actually get the shower stall put in there, but it's sitting outside and I'm sure it's full of water by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment