Monday, February 3, 2014

Spring is here? but it's only February!!!

February was unusually warm in 2012, which should've been a BIG warning sign of things to come. I was just excited about getting to put up my new greenhouse and get seeds going early. It set up quickly, as it was like a pop-up tent. you put all the frame together, then put the "tent" over the frame. Shannon helped me set it up, and we decided to put it next to the shed, so we'd have easy access to electricity and it would have a little protection from the hot sun with the black walnut trees beginning to leaf out.


We took the cover off the mini greenhouse and used the shelves to start the seedlings, then added a couple tables along each side to put the growing plants. I definitely had TOO many tomato plants, and we made plans to attend the local farmers market and sell the extras. By the time April rolled around my plants were HUGE and I was able to sell them for good prices. I also potted some in deep pots and sold them as patio plants, no need to transplant those to a garden spot.

I grew most of my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and hoped to save some of the seed for next year's garden (I was a tad overly ambitious at this point). I had 4 or 5 different tomatoes, two cucumbers, 4 or 5 pepper varieties, several squash/zucchini, corn, beans, onions, carrots, radish and beats. I planted 3 or 4 varieties of lettuce, plus spinach, and hoped to have yummy salads. I also planted peas, but the spring warmed up far too quickly to actually get to enjoy any. I also got started with herbs, which we adore, and I was so excited to grow my own.


Time to get the garden ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment