Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cheesy Potato Corn Chowder...recipe

This recipe is my very own! I'm not usually creative in the kitchen, I take a recipe, use it, tweek it a little, but usually never actually make my own up (except a select few). This is one of the select few.

I had left over ham one day and wanted to make a soup with it. I knew I wanted a creamy soup, so I searched my magazines and cookbooks for the perfect recipe. I didn't find any I really liked the sound of, some sounded tasteless, and some sounded like WAY too much work. After all, I'm a farm girl, not a chef! I took the best parts of the recipes and got started. After a few tries, this is what we decided was best. I've had to tweek things to make them palatable to some family members who shall remain nameless...so I've also included how I would make it if it were MY taste buds I wanted to make happy. :)

Cheesy Potato Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
1-2 Tbsp butter
1/4 c. minced white or yellow onions (finely minced and a sweet onion is best)
2 c. chopped, cooked ham (we use leftover)
1 14 oz can chicken broth
3 med. russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (you can also use dehydrated slices that you've rehydrated OR 1 1/2 LARGE baking potatoes that you've baked and have leftover, skin removed)
1 small can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 small can condensed cream of potato soup
1 14oz can sweet corn, drained
a dash of celery seed
1/8 tsp dried dill weed
1/8 tsp dried tarragon (or marjoram, depending on your taste preferences)
1/8 tsp celery salt
salt (go easy) & pepper to taste
1 soup can of 1/2 & 1/2 cream

Saute ham & onion in butter in a heavy bottomed soup pot or dutch oven until onion is translucent. Add chicken broth & potatoes. Cook on med high heat until potatoes are tender (aprx 10-15 min.).

Turn burner to med/medium low, add in canned soups and herbs/seasonings & mix thoroughly, heating until all is warmed through.

Turn burner to low, add in the corn and the soup can of 1/2 & 1/2. Whisk thoroughly until well blended, heat until warmed through. Remove from burner & serve with fresh baked bread or cornbread.

You can substitute 1 minced celery stalk in place of the celery seed & celery salt & saute it along with the onion & ham.

This recipe is hearty & satisfying and one of my favorite one-pot soups for winter! And an excellent way to use up leftover ham. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment