Friday, January 31, 2014

Easy Pizza Sauce...so easy a kid can make it!

My teenaged son made this last night and we topped Boboli crusts with it, we had a little extra, so we made a bruschetta type of appetizer, too. :)
We adapted this from an allrecipes.com version

Easy Pizza Sauce

Ingredients

1 large pizza crust or 2 Boboli pizza crusts

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

1 1/2 cups water

OR Use 1 15oz can of tomato sauce

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

salt to taste

ground black pepper to taste

1/2 tablespoon dried oregano

1/2 tablespoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

Mix together the tomato paste, water (or just use tomato sauce), and olive oil with a whisk. Mix really well or the oil will separate. Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Mix well and let stand several hours to let flavors blend. No cooking necessary, just spread on dough.

OR cook for 10 min. over medium heat to meld flavors quickly.

Spread on dough, top with your favorite toppings and cheese, and bake according to directions. If you plan on using fresh herbs, you will need to triple the amounts and dice them up really fine. If you're going to cook it, add the herbs at about 9 minutes of cook time, so you don't lose that great, fresh flavor. :)

Tip: if you find the sauce is a tad too runny (this depends on the sauce and/or amount of water you are using) you can add a tablespoon at a time to the sauce to thicken it up. I find that using my tomato powder from food storage does this quite well.

I took a photo with the pizza sauce on before it went in the oven, but the pizza was gone before I could get a photo of it after it was done cooking...six hungry teens make short work of pizza! LOL!

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the thought of tomato powder. I' want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted yesterday about tomato powder, hope you get a chance to check it out. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope to post about tomato powder this afternoon or tomorrow. I have to say it's AMAZING! Great for food storage and for using on a daily basis. I have about 4 #10 cans of it. :)

    ReplyDelete