Saturday, July 5, 2014

BLUEBERRIES ARE IN SEASON!!!!

My favorite time of year at Farmers Market...BLUEBERRY SEASON! If I had the time I'd go to one of those "you pick" places...then again, if I had the time, maybe my berry bushes wouldn't be looking so lousy and I'd be getting lovely blueberries in my own back yard?

Fresh blueberries & blackberries bring me back to my childhood when my sister would pick my mom and I up and we'd go pick berries for the morning. As a kid, the morning seemed like it was FOREVER and the weather was always HOT, but EATING all those berries was so WONDERFUL! My favorite ways to have blueberries, now that I'm all grown up, is a blueberry pie. Second would have to be in yogurt with granola. Then there are blueberry muffins, blueberry buckle (like a coffee cake), and the list goes on and on. While blackberries still hold a place in my heart (right up there with blackberry jelly!), blueberries are the best (in my humble opinion).

Here's a picture of the gallon of blueberries I picked up at Farmers Market last night, the quick run through, just to say hi to some of my vendor friends and see what might be cooking. We had other plans for the 4th of July, as we do every year...MAGic 4th picnic and fireworks! Our local church (the one we attended for 10 years) always hosts a wonderful picnic and fireworks display, and for at least 10 years my husband and family have been the ones in charge of fireworks. He's a licensed pyrotechnic, along with all the other wonderful things he does. :) This is our last year shooting fireworks for the MAGic 4th, so the night was bitter-sweet.

So back to blueberries:


and a lovely recipe to go with it:

Blueberry Buckle

For the buckle:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

For the Crumble:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter

To make buckle:
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl; set aside. In another mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg to butter mixture and whip until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture, milk, and juice to the creamed mixture. Use your hands to gently fold in blueberries. Place in greased 9x9 pan.

To make crumble:
In a bowl, mix sugar, flour, and cinnamon together. Cut in butter with hands until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment