Friday, March 28, 2014

Hard to get necessary work done with a J.O.B....but I'm trying!

I started back to work last week, I now work at our local Walmart in the Garden Center. I'm considered seasonal, so we shall see if my job lasts past the 180 days (if I even get that far). It's pretty difficult to keep up with the kids' schedules, the baby chicks, the greenhouse, the garden planting, the laundry, the dishes...you get the picture. :)

I have been managing, though, but I sure do feel the need for a nap about this time every day! Too bad some of those times are when I'm on the clock. Today I thought I'd try to push through that "I need a nap" feeling and get an update posted.

My girlfriend, Regina, gave me her portable raised beds, since she is moving. :( They are 4x4. There are 4 of them, and they interlock, but I am only going to use three for now, as where I am putting them they don't all quite fit. I'm actually centering them under the tomato hoops. I got one of them planted yesterday morning. I put out 3 kinds of kale, collards and 2 kinds of broccoli. I am hoping the weather stays just nice enough to keep them growing. I cover them nightly with an old shower curtain. I need something to hold it up better in the middle, though, so rain runs off of it, and doesn't smash it down like it did last night. I hope my broccoli made it! It was a bit smashed this morning.

The chicks are growing like chicks do...FAST! They are eating like CRAZY! I fill their feed trays three times a day! There are 35 or 36 of them running around in the brooder now. They're soooo cute! They're getting some feathers and they're testing their wings and flying (or trying to fly) around in the brooder. They also think freeze dried meal worms are AWESOME. LOL!

The greenhouse had a little room in it, once I moved the kale, broccoli & collards out, but I quickly filled those spaces up with some more seedlings. The bell peppers are taking FOREVER to pop up in the starter trays. I am quickly losing hope that I'll get any more egg plant starts. They are REALLY difficult to start. UGH! I got a few more tomato starts and some more herbs are popping up, so those got transplanted this morning. Shannon's flowers are starting to take off again, so those are also needing more room. Oh, and my onions are popping up in their pots! I can't wait til the weather is warm enough for me to put them out in the raised beds. That's what I believe raised beds are best for in the Ozarks...root crops...because our soil is pretty rocky, so nothing that needs to grow as a root actually does a very good job of growing. You should've seen my parsnips last year...about 2 inches long, 2 inches thick, and about a dozen points coming off the ends of each. Too many rocks, too much clay. I hope for a better crop this year with the raised beds!

Now, didn't I say something about needing to do laundry? UGH! Off I go to deal with laundry and hopefully get something cooking for dinner tonight, so my family doesn't feel I'm neglecting them.

Have a fun day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment